Monday, July 11, 2011

T minus 8 days until the movers are here...

Well, it's been 60 days since our decision to make the "big move" to San Ignacio, Belize.  I (Mandy typing) knew once we came back from our 19 day Belize Adventure, our lives would turn hectic until we unpack the last box in our new home.

I want to be truthful about this move.  It isn't easy.  Oh, everyone says, "How exciting!" or "Wow, I wish I were you!"  I just kind of chuckle inside because moving to another country is more fearful and overwhelming than one might think.

For the last few weeks, we have been sorting our possessions into piles...sell it, store it, take it, gift it, throw it, donate it, and my favorite...I'm too overwhelmed with this, I'll think about it later pile.  It's coming down to the wire of when the movers pick up our "take it" choices.  They show up at our home with a moving van, drive to Los Angeles to load on a shipment container.  Then they will pick up in port of Guatemala, and drive our things to our new home with a target date around August 16th or so...and this may be the easy part.

Traveling with two cats and 85lb. and 105lb. dogs via airline can be a hassle itself.  Shots have to be within 1 year and not less than 30 days. Health certificates have to be within 10 days of travel. Purchase of extra large dog crates and carry-on cat containers are not cheap.  Also, the airfare for the animals is over $1000 for all four.

Once the movers leave, we have 4 weeks in town until we depart.  This should allow us time to have some sort of "bon voyage" gathering, on top of filming for House Hunters International "back story", and Mike's celebration of "retirement at 46".

While Mike continues to have his head in "Cloud 9" about closing this chapter of our lives and starting another, I have my moments of questioning my insanity while I drag my feet on the long list of to do's before the big day.  Well, back to the packing, making final doctor and dental appointments, and all the details and logistics of international moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment