Friday, September 9, 2011

Flying with cats and dogs....

Leading up to our move, there was more than just packing moving boxes and saying good-byes.  We were moving with two large dogs and two cats via airplane.  In my mind (Amanda typing), this was my biggest fear of the whole move.  So many times I have heard of horror stories about animals that have died during flying.  We love our four legged family.  It was my goal to prepare them for this event.

With our two hounds weighing in at 85lbs. and 105lbs, the logistics alone had me a bit puzzled. First, we purchased jumbo dog carriers about a month before the big move.  With them in our home, we would pal around with our dogs and say in a happy voice.."wanna go bye bye?" and lead them into the crate to help create the association of "something good".  During the last week, we would actually lock them into the crates for small amounts of time to get used to being crated, as they have never been crate dogs.

We also purchased new "airline approved" cat carriers which fit under our seat.  The thought of a cat meowing the whole time, as they do on the way to the vets, was a constant fear.

The airlines did not want our animals drugged and we abided.  They received their health checks from the local vet, made sure they were current on all shots 30 days before travel, and received our Belize Health Certificate from BAHA via fax.  We even did a dry run with Continental Airlines official animal lady in Vegas nicknamed the "Dog Nazi"; who will not let an animal travel until every sticker is correctly located on the crate, every crate must be within size and regulation standards, and every i must be dotted and t crossed for travel to happen.

The airlines do not take the dogs out of the crates and they had, with layovers and early arrivals...11 hours of crate time.  11 hours of bladder holding.  I hoped the extra cheese given the previous day would keep them constipated for a while.  We did not need an accident to happen.

Thanks to our friends, we had a Cyphers caravan enroute to the airport.  One vehicle held the humans, cats, and luggage.  The other, carried the dogs and their crates.

Actually, the dogs held it well, with no issues, no stress, and no barking.  It was our old cat named Bobby.  He is such a pain in the butt, I actually named him after a prior Henderson Mayor.  The name fits.

So we make it to the Las Vegas airport and Bobby aka "pain in the a__" decided he is scared to death and peed himself.  The canvas cat tote was soaked along with the cat.  It you know cat urine, you know this was not a good moment.  We haven't even got on the plane yet and we already had an accident.  So off to the ladies room I go, with cat and tote in hand to clean the tote and give the cat a bath in the sink.  I don't have to mention cats and water don't mix well.  If not for the sounds coming out of a scared wet cat, then I'm surprised PETA wasn't called for me holding onto the cat by the neck with one hand as I wash the tote with the other.  you should have seen all the double-take looks we got from ladies entering the restroom door to find a wet hairball, and me half covered in water.  Of course the site of me trying to dry the cat with the auto air machine was another first in my life experience.

While all of this was going on, I was a walking zombie trying to function and walk straight; a true scene out of "Weekend at Bernies".  My doctor made sure I was well medicated for this moment as I was scared to death about moving on top of freaking out about flying.  I've experienced panic attacks on my last airline flight and was told kindly from the flight attendant that people like me should not fly.

Poor Michael, dealing with a drugged wife, and 4 un-drugged animals, and a crying kid as he had to say goodbye to his best friend that night.


 Our trip consisted of a red eye to Houston,  a 3 hour layover and a flight to Belize.  We arrived to our new country at 10:30 in the morning.  From what I am told, (remember I was drugged here)  the cats and I did not make a peep the whole trip.  There were many forms and permits to pay to get the dogs in Belize, I'm sure the dogs had all four legs crossed during this time.


So we walk out of the airport and what an AWESOME MOMENT!!  We were greeted by our Belize friends Sam and Shelley, and our Pastor Patrick, his wife Deana, one of their sons, Caleb, and Deana's visiting dad.  Patrick brought the church bus (an old yellow school bus) to pick us, our luggage, animals, and dog crates to take us 80 miles to our new home.

As you know we sent our belongings a month ahead via container, which was here for us when we arrived.  A quick call from Mike to the shippers and the truck filled with our boxes arrived at our new home the same time as our bus crew.  Everyone rolled up their sleeves and carried our boxes to the appropriate rooms for us to un-pack.  Wow, we were blessed right away with a group of people who understand the real meaning of community; as we can only experience  life, with the help, understanding and companionship of one other.  No training needed on our end.  Belize immediately felt like home.  We are home.  Of course I realize this a few days later when I woke up from the chemical fog I was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment